On a side note, I just signed up for my first marathon. I am slightly terrified. After reading about a few of your earlier marathons, I am now absolutely terrified and worried I took on too much!
Just following Pensive Pumpkin said:
I am dying over Ryan's second comment above, because reading this blog makes me want to curl up and DIE because I will never be this cool. Then I read your terrible Seattle RnR post again, realize that *this will happen to me. probably more than once.* and that you kept running anyway. Then I freak out that I have a "long" four miler scheduled tomorrow. LOL
Ryan- welcome to the club. Crazy club.
Not sure if you know this but if you scroll down until you see RACES on the right hand side of the Blog I have nearly all of my race reports linked, just click the photo to go to the report. I am also working on the Race Reports Tab at the top of the Blog with drop downs to the various race distances COMING SOON for Marathon. I tend to remember every step so get your cup of coffee and prepare for a book..
My first Marathon was anything but perfect. I made some rookie mistakes which lead to a less than stellar performance. Many of you have already read my Post HERE, beware I am very honest with how it all went down (my leg). HEHE.. I know of a couple Bloggers T & G who read the post multiple times in preparation for their first Marathon, I was pretty honored :)As a former college athlete I had high expectations for myself my first time out and I sorta flopped... I crossed the Finish line and immediately said to Muscle Man "Never let me do that again!!" And at the time I meant it. It was painful, horrible, no good, all that training and for what?? To wet myself and run in pain for the last 10 miles of the race... UGH!! Marathons are tough!! Don't let anyone sugar coat it, BUT...
The following year I ran 4 Marathons, qualified for the Boston Marathon and earned Marathon Maniac status by running 3 marathons in less than 90 days. YES my first Marathon was tragic, but the mistakes I made were fixable and I wanted to know the feeling of the perfect Marathon. I have run 6 Marathon, which is a small number in compared to some, and I can honestly say that I truly enjoyed 2 of the 6- Eugene and Rock N Roll Seattle with Marlene, I enjoyed the first Half of two of my Marathons- Rock N Roll Seattle 09 and Rock N Roll Vegas with Amanda and I just muddle through- Green River Marathon and The Boston Marathon...
Every race is different. The training leading up to it, the race itself, and all the excitement surrounding the 26.2 mile journey. My BEST advice to you First Time Marathoners is this:
1. Respect the Distance, do not underestimate the last 6.2 miles!!! Train for the distance and time on your feet.
2. Do not go in with a specific time goal, run to Finish.
3. Recruit a support crew- having friends and family along the course at planned mile markers is necessary.. They will be there with signs, a camera, snacks, a cheer and a smile.
4. Drive the course or parts of it, this will give you a vivid idea of the terrain. I find driving the course calming, but if you know that this will make you more nervous skip it :)
5. Smile at the Finish and wear your medal all weekend!!
1 Day Giveaway!!!
My buddies at Razzy Roo sent me an assortment of Valentines and St. Patty's day headbands to pass on to you lovely readers. In order to get the V-Day one to you on time this Giveaway is 1 day only.
WHAT WILL YOU WIN:
Your choice of One Valentines or St. Pattys day band...oops I forgot to take a photo of the specific bands so you get to be surprised :)
HOW DO YOU ENTER?:
1 comment for each entry pretty please
Leave a Comment to ENTER, does not matter about what.
1. Visit Razzy Roo HERE and let me know which headband you would love to buy. Leave a Comment.
2. Like Razzy Roo on Facebook HERE. Leave a Comment.
3. Tell me whether you want Valentines or St. Patty's day band by leaving a quote associated, a quote about LOVE for Valentines or LUCK for St. Pattys.
4. Visit me on Facebook HERE and post a comment on my Wall. Leave a Comment here to get credit.
- Contest ends tonight 2/10 at 11:59PM. Winner will be announced on 2/11.