I cant speak for all Moms but my body has changed drastically since having kids. In my younger, kid-free, days I could eat whatever, whenever with no consequence and I never had use for Tums.. These days I don't know what is going to cause me to bloat or keel over to the fetal position in PAIN.. This year I want to take an active approach to testing new ways of eating to see how I feel.
My Key areas of focus:
1. Energy Level. If food is fuel, which fuel will give me the most SPARK??
2. Cost and availability. It is a known fact that is costs more to eat well (unless you forrage in the forest or something) but as a one-income family I cannot afford to break the bank in the grocery department. I also don't want poor Muscle man to drive all over the place to specialty stores for me.
3. Taste. Life is short. I love to eat. I refuse to eat something that tastes like tree-bark to get in the required fiber for the day.
Below are my ideas so far:
FEBRUARY= No Chocolate and no sweets at work. This will be a CHALLENGE with Feb being Valentines month, the work food table is sure to be full of tasty sweet treats. I may change it to be no sweets at all, but I will decide that on Feb 1st :)
MARCH= GO Gluten Free. My Mom is already following this lifestyle so I can go to her for advice and tips. I may have to take a CHEAT day on March 17th when I set a new 5K PR and celebrate with a post-race adult beverage!
- I posted on Facebook HERE to get some ideas about good Monthly Challenges. Below are some great ideas MONTHLY challenges from commenters.
Lesley- Snack= fruit, vegetable or yogurt.
Sybil- Raw foods or vegan
Amanda and Jessica- No processed foods!! Only foods made with fresh ingredients.
Catey and Nancy- Sugar Elimination
Marlene- No restaurants/fast food.
Becca- No meat Mondays
I have to be smart about this, the weeks leading up to the Monthly CHALLENGE will be spent researching what foods I can and should eat. I also don't want to plan a CHALLENGE for a month when I will be traveling or in heavy training..
I plan to look at my calendar and plan out the year. CHALLENGES will include my Tall Family as well. Muscle Man and the Little Studs will be along for the ride here and there this year.
- Do you know of any GREAT cook books or healthy eating books that would help me out this year? Please leave a comment.
- Do you have any ideas for a Monthly challenge I should try? Leave a comment.
- What healthy eating strategies have you tried? What did you like and what did you not like??