I cleaned up my diet, dropped more weight and started the Half training plan. My body responded well to the training...in the back of my mind I thought MAYBE I would run a Marathon?? Maybe.. I was way ahead of the plan so I registered for my first Half Marathon.May 2009 the perfect day with my Husband there for support. I made a few ROOKIE mistakes, dressing to warm, not going to the bathroom one last time, and going out WAY TOO FAST.. That Finish Line was Amazing. I paid $$ and changed my Rock N Roll Registration to the Full Marathon.
As a former college athlete I tend to have high confidence in my abilities.. I believed that I could BQ First time out...I was on pace for 11 miles then my bladder gave out. It was not pretty, but I finished my First Marathon... I said "Don't ever let me do this Again." Yeah Right! The Marathon and I had unfinished business. As a Mom of 2 with a Full Time Career there are few chances in life to SHINE, to reach for Goals, to do something for just ME. Boston for me was not about Qualifying it was about proving that I still had the Fire to set a goal and Achieve it.
Eugene was PERFECT in so many ways... I really could not have asked for better weather. Muscle Man was there for me the whole way I saw him 6 times!! And at the end of the day I had done it. 26.2 Miles in 3:37:06 or 8:18 pace. WHAT?? This from someone who could barely run a mile.
- Why am I telling you this? First off because I want you to know that it is OK to be a Work in Progress. Dreams take time to achieve. Dreams also take a belief in yourself and a willingness to get out of bed and make the effort. You may just surprise yourself. I sure did!!
I cannot say Thank you Enough to everyone who has supported me through this training cycle for Boston. It has been a long road and I have leaned on many many people.. So here is my Thank you..
- Muscle Man- Thank you for believing in me, for eating pasta on Friday Nights and watching the Little Studs on Saturday and Sunday mornings without ever complaining. You make this all possible for me. And I know you are just a LITTLE excited for me to take a break from 26.2 for a bit.
- Little Studs- I am sure you don't really understand what I am doing, or why I dress crazy and leave when it is dark. You ask "How far is a Marathon?" and "Do you really have to go to Boston?" I take time away for you, which pulls at my heart. But at the end of the day having a healthy and happy Mommy will make your life so much better. I promise we will do some fun things this Summer on Weekend mornings!
- My Family- We have all been through a lot. I know that you have needed me and I may not have fully been there for you. But you never made me feel guilty for continuing with my dream. Mom your strength to continue on is Inspiring.
- My Running Buddies- Muscle Man, Amy, Tink, Zoe, Kerrie, Jill, Janna, Tammy, Heidi, AC, and all of you out there on the trails who wave and smile. I have to include Chelsea, Jess and Harmony, although I have not run with you I feel like I have :)
- Lynette- Thank you for your support, love and friendship. Your thoughtfulness and ability to multitask is inspiring. You help me remember that on tough days it could be tougher.
- Virtual Friends!! That means you all!! Your Comments lift my spirits and make my day. I know that I can rarely make it around to reply, but know that I do read every comment and feel blessed that anyone stops in to read Tall Mom. You are all GREAT!!
- Thank you to my Cousin Kathy for this Kick Butt shirt I will be wearing on the plane on Saturday morning
- Zoe for the card and red lip stain and Kerrie for the book to capture all my thoughts about Boston. You two took time out to make sure I had these gifts to take with me and I am still in awe of the thoughtfulness. I will surely repay the sentiment come June for your FIRST MARATHON!!
- Amy for the Surprise yesterday!! Wrapped in Yellow and Blue Boston Colors. This gift was so thoughtful and took some planning. I feel BLESSED to have Amy as a friend and Running partner. It was a treat to run with someone newer to running during training. It helped me remember those milestones and how GOOD it feels to reach new limits.
- To Shannon at Moeben HERE for sending another pair of Sleeves when the first pair were too big. Amy worked some magic there and my race outfit is complete!!
Cheesy yes, but hey this is my Journey... I am still a work in progress 4 days from the next adventure. START TODAY!! Who knows where you could be 3 years from now!!
- Later today I will have a Guest Post from my Boston Host Bethany at Our Love on the Run HERE. Tips for Boston, will be GREAT!!