I had Run very little before baby #2 came along, so when I was Prego with Little Stud #2 and wanted to buy a Double Stroller Muscle Man was hesitant. We found an Expedition Stroller with Rain Cover on Craigslist for $100. Little did we know we would be putting Miles and Miles on this Blue Beauty.. WE have for sure got our cost per use out of the Stroller.
I can't remember our first Family run, but I know Little Stud #2 was still bottle drinking.. They aren't always thrilled with getting in the Stroller so we have to use some tricks..
1. Get a portable DVD player, charge the battery and put in a good Kid movie. Our kids hold the DVD player and watch while we run. I am sure a music type player would work well also
I just like the picture above, it doesn't have much to do with the tricks.. but we do take the stroller everywhere :) Beach included..
2. Go to a local track. We are BLESSED because there is a High School track just 1 mile down the road, so we push the boys to the track, let them run around inside the closed fenced area while I get in extra miles, then put them back in.. Good way for me to get in extra miles and them to run in a SAFE Traffic free zone within eye shot.
3. Snacks and drinks.. if you have special treats that you offer for the ride then they think of it as a reward for going on a run. Cheetos, chocolate dipped granola bars, fishy crackers, Apple juice and chocolate milk seem to work for us. Always have a reserve in the bottom in case they run out..
4. Have a spot for the kids to run (may not apply for the Little ones). When we don't go to the Track we will finish our run on the corner and let the boys out for the last .1, that way they feel like they have a special part of the run.
5. Be flexible. If they want out for a bit to walk let them. I have found if my kids feel confined to the stroller they will rebel.. If they know we are flexible they will just relax and enjoy the ride. Little Stud #1 thinks he can use his Scooter fast enough to keep up, but generally only lasts a few minutes and is ready to sit.
6. Go around nap time and HOPE they fall asleep :)
Our Double Jogger (DJ) days are numbered because our kids are getting HEAVY!! I am very sure we have passed the height/weight requirements. Enjoy it while you can, the Jogging Stroller is a Fun way to get fresh air and teach your child/kids about your passion for Running.
Longest Run= 7 miles twice, once with Muscle Man and once solo OUCH!!
Race= 5 Mile Fun run 46:31 Report HERE
Average Distance Per Run= 2-3 miles
Uses of Rain Cover= Countless
Ran into BAD Weather= 3
Sippee Cups Dropped and Quickly Recovered= 15+-
- Many of you are Stroller Striding Moms. What tips do you have?? Leave a comment...