WANT TO KNOW A SECRET? I love racing more for the before and after than the during... Hanging with the girls is such a BLAST!!..
Amanda's buddy Jess was running the 4 miler, Amanda was torn having just run an 18 miler but I had my heart stuck on the Half. I was not feeling Half PR fit or focused so I emailed Jill HERE to see if she wanted to come along. Amanda, Jill and I made plans on Sunday and signed up "Amanda Style" on race day.
The ride was eventful...nuff said.. We arrived and registered quickly, this race is sooo Chill!! After a NO LINE Honey Bucket stop we quickly spotted the TALL and lovely Shelby HERE. Her cousins own the Jock N Jill store, COOL!! It is always fun to meet new local runners. We got there early so we used the time to TAKE PICTURES...
Jill and I wanted to match, so we tested our You go Girl team outfits... it was a bit Chilly and drizzly rain, so long sleeves were needed.
Miss Amanda, love her!!!
So funny it looks like Jill is Glowing.. We relaxed a bit and chatted, then it was time to get to the start..
I love love this picture!! So funny because this was Jill and my FIRST RUN together.. Not sure why?? We have known each other since we were little girls, reconnecting the past few years, now running/blogging buddies. LOVE IT! I was pumped to test out my pacing/coaching, I expect a full review from Jill.
Looking forward. One bummer was there was no start mat, so we lost 10-15 seconds crossing the start..
Sooo many people wore the Super Jock N Jill Brooks T-shirts. It reminded me of highlighters, every fourth person was in the shirt. SAFETY for sure! I did not buy the shirt, but I know a lot of people were very happy..
We set out and settled into a comfortable pace. When I run with people I like to run a half a set behind, so that is what I did with Jill. If she needed me to speed ahead to push her I would have. I am new to coaching, pacing, etc... what I do know is that I LOVE IT!! What a wonderful and positive experience.. I mean look at this girl!!
She had a strong stride, never hit the wall and was so positive the whole time. I reminded Jill to relax, drink, and focus on her form. It will be great to get coaching training in October!!
- A few funny things along the way:
- 2 ladies asked where we got our skirts Runningskirts.com of course
- A man with a bright green headband asked if we were a team he had a Snoopy tie hanging down his backside as a tail made me chuckle
- The front runner lady was wearing ELITE gear ie. sports bra and spankies mind you it was cold and rainy.. WOW!!
- Mile 8.5 I saw a little baby eating a banana followed by a little girl with a banana less than 6 steps away, I looked around to avoid any unfortunate slipping on peels.
I ran ahead to take pictures, guess I should have sprinted further because running backwards at 9:10ish pace is TOUGH!! Oh well, blurry is still fun. I got out my phone around mile 9, texted Muscle Man and Amanda. Texting and running is not easy. At that point the PR for Jilly was in the bag, we just had to take it home.
I felt GREAT, this pace is comfortable for me. Jill turned on her music and we took on the last 5K by picking off people left and right. We spotted Shelby, caught up to her, I could tell she was hurting, her hip was not feeling good. I tried to help her along, but running with an injury is never good. We cruised through the water stop because we had our handhelds, and we lost Shelby as she slowed for a sip.
- I can't emphasize how GREAT this course is. It is flat, winds round so you have new things to look at, follows the river, and is very well organized with signage and volunteers. The last 5K was a blur, we sped up I think I still need to plug in. The ONLY bummer was the Half Marathon Walkers who walked 3-4 in a line blocking the entire way. It was like a bad version of Red Rover... REALLY PEOPLE? I love that they are doing it, but the fact that they are registered means that they are AWARE that runners are using the same pavement, share!!
Coming to the last stretch Jill saw a friend, smiled and yelled hello... Don't think she realized how much energy that took, not two breath later she said "I am going to die" or something like that.. I said "No you are not, the Finish is around the corner." We sped to the line DONE!!!
HUGE PR FOR JILL!!! What a fun Race, I love that we ran TOGETHER the whole time with such a GREAT result. CONGRATS Jill!!! Our shirts were totally wet, probably from wearing our long sleeve shirts over for 3/4 of the race, should have done the arm sleeves oh well. P
Jess and Amanda were Patiently waiting and freezing, they had run the 4 miler. Not to get sappy but this will be one of our last WA runs for a while with Amanda :( Booooo!! Lucky me, local Bloggies are going to have lunch tomorrow to make plans for You Go Girl this month and our Bloggy guests coming from out of town.
We changed a little and headed to Mexican just down the road. Mexican and coffee, YUMMY!! Thanks girls for a GREAT morning.
2:02:43 (Less 10 seconds to start line)
****Will plug in and get the breakdown to go with my Lessons Learned post.
- HAPPY LABOR DAY!