Last night I FINALLY had an opportunity to get in a semi Long Run....BUT there is a little Heat Wave going on and it was still 96' at 6:45PM.. Just my LUCK... GULP! My Seattle running body is not prepared for that kind of heat.... so I made the most of it, I loaded up my 4 bottle Nathan Fuel belt and headed to my parents.
Our neighborhood there is no shade because they chopped all the trees, by my folks there is SHADE, which was needed in the HEAT. I said "Hi" to my folks and set out. It went like this...
- Mentally mapped out a route forgetting about the HILLS! My knee was SCREAMING as I went up and down.
- Passed two kids with Jonas Brothers style hair cuts riding their skateboards down a grass hill while using IPhones to Video.
- The lake park was FILLED with folks trying to beat the heat. There was not one square patch of free grass.
- I was getting TIRED at mile 4 when a truck passed. A young guy reached his arm out the window, smiled and gave me a thumbs up. Instantly re-energized.
- Wavering and wishing my water were cold I looked up and was inspired by Ford.. The Ford FOCUS, it was a good reminder, I had to get my head in the run.
- Ahead I saw a high school age kid running toward me in a Wrestling SWEATSHIRT.. He gave a little hoot as he passed and I said "Not hot enough for you huh?" He smiled, CRAZY KIDS!!!
- Dead animal count: 3 possums, 1 cat, 2 crows and 1 frog.
- I passed my Junior High which was plowed to the ground and is being remodeled, made me a little sad.
- It was getting late and dark, I sped up and made it home a sweating, salty mess.
- HOW DO YOU ALL DO IT? I thought about all of you who live and run in constant scorching temperatures, CRAZY CRAZY!! I went through all 4 bottles of luke warm fluid and was still parched.
STATS for 8/15:
Fastest Mile: 8:06 Less Fast Mile: 9:26