Tall Mom Tips to Escape the RUT:
1. Change the route
- Run it backwards, the simple act of running your usual route backwards can spice it up a bit.
- Chose your favorite route. I have a few places I like to run, the bridge through the marsh and the flat trail...if I feel I am in a rut I stick to those paths that make me happy.
- Drive somewhere new to run. Local parks, trails, golf course, waterfront, etc.. There may be new routes within 15 minutes from your home that you have never tested... (Note: when running in a new place bring a running partner, dog, or some form of protection)
2. Phone a Friend
- Running buddies can help the LONG miles fly by.
- If you do not have a buddy who runs, consider joining a local running club. Information can be found online or at a local running stores. There are runners in all paces, ages and distances, you may just find your running mate.
3. Buy new Gear
- Maybe those old stinky duds are making you depressed. Reward your efforts with a shiny new outfit. You don't have you break the bank to get new running clothes. I buy many great things at Target, Ross, TJMax, and Nordstrom Rack.
- Maybe you legs are sore from your shoes being over their lifespan. Soreness could lead to a rut. Save up for a new pair, it could make all the difference.
4. Register for a Race or Fun Run
- Paying the money and having something to look forward to could be just the pull you need to get you out of your rut.
- Get your friends and family involved.. You don't have to RACE.... There are plenty of family friendly walk/run events that are fun and can be pretty inexpensive.
5. Have a plan or ditch your plan
- You may be in a rut because you don't have a plan. There is a wealth of knowledge online with training plans for all distances, speeds, etc.. Find a Plan and tweak it to fit your goals and life. Checking off the boxes may give you just the inspiration you need.
- Maybe the plan you are using is too hard and is giving you anxiety. No one is forcing you to stick to that Plan. Your rut could be caused by the lack of freedom.. Ditch the plan, or parts of the plan and create your own. It could make all the difference.
(is that a word?)