The start of 2009 I did not have BIG goals, I was registered for my first Half-Marathon and in the back of my head thought that maybe I could go for a Full Marathon. The Tall Mom blog had not been created and I did not consider myself a RUNNER.
This year I plan to start off with clear Goals and action plans to meet or exceed those Goals. My goals fit into 3 categories, similar to the format of my Test Lab Tuesday. Once these are out there I can't take them back... GULP!!!
- One night every week (minimum) we will not watch TV. We will play games as a family, read, build forts, construct and knock down block towers, go for a walk/run, etc. All the focus will be on us being together.
- I will define what I "Want to be when I grow-up" and work toward becoming that person in my Big Girl life.
- I will read at least 5 books next year, including at least one about running and one about nutrition. I am a painfully slow reader and only have time to read at night when my brain is TIRED so this is a good starting point for me.
- I will find ways to reduce my Environmental Footprint first by purchasing a travel mug to give to my barista to fill with my morning JOLT and using my water bottle on car trips and at work instead of plastic bottles.
- We will sell our 5 year home and purchase a new Home that will fit us better, hopefully with a yard and closer to work.
- I will learn more about CLEAN EATING and incorporate more locally grown and fresh products into our daily diets.
- Once a month I will find a new recipe (may need your help here food-bloggies), purchase the goods to make the dinner, and cook unassisted for my family. I am not a cook, so this is a BIG goal for me and one that I know will be a huge turning point for me.
- Muscle Man and I will reduce intake of alcohol and sweets until mid May in preparation for my Marathon on May 2nd and his first 1/2 Marathon mid May.
- I will find ways to curb my appetite and avoid boredom eating. Eating for fuel whenever possible.
- All these Eating changes should result in a trimmer waistline and goal weight of 175 on Marathon day in May.
- My running will be less about "ME" and more about "WE." PR's are fine and dandy, but what are they really without someone to share them with? I have always been the Coach type and a Motivator. I TRULY believe that taking the focus off myself and placing it with my partner will make the experiences more enjoyable. Race Plan below. My goal is to run 1,333+++ miles in 2010 with a minimum of 333 miles WITH others.
- Work hard and smart through my Fleet Feet MARATHON training cycle to prepare for a Boston Qualifying Effort in the Eugene Marathon on May 2nd. I know I can do this and I REALLY REALLY want to!! I LOVE LOVE Half Marathons, once I Qualify for and run Boston (2011), I plan to take a rest from Marathon focus and hunt down a Half PR.
- Race for a sub 21:00 5K. In order to do this I will need to work on my core ab strength, legs and arms. I will lift with Muscle Man minimum of 1 day a week and incorporate abs 3 days a week.
- I will Run to raise money for a charity. This year I am going PINK to raise money for Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer. Look for fundraising efforts soon..
- My attitude toward my weakness HILLS will be a positive attitude. I WILL NOT COMPLAIN about hills. If you catch me complaining about hills email or comment and I will mail you $1.
**These are Goals I hope to achieve in the next 5-10 Years
- Write and have a book published.
- Travel to Ireland and/or Run the Dublin Marathon.
- Travel to New York (again) and/or Run the NYC Marathon.
- Help Muscle Man to reach his career Goals of either becoming a personal trainer or flipping houses.
- Own my own business, in what?? TBD, any ideas?
Tentative Race Schedule:
March 21, 2010- Mercer Island Half Marathon with local Bloggy buddies
May 2, 2010- Eugene Marathon (HERE) BQ Hopes! This race looks amazing. If you are looking for a May Marathon think about it. The Finish Line is on Hayward Field!!!
May 16, 2010- Capital City Half Marathon, running with Muscle Man for his first Half Marathon. My legs will be DEAD after Eugene, so this may be a walk/run :)
June 2010- Race for the Cure Seattle 5K running with Lynette and Charity to help them cross the finish line. Pay if Forward!!
June 26, 2010- Rock 'N' Roll Marathon Seattle running with Shelby for her first Marathon. Bloggy buddy meet ups and hopefully hosting a Seattle carbo load night. Register for Rock 'N' Roll Seattle and let me know so I know how many people to plan for :)
October 10, 2010- Portland Marathon backup in case my Eugene time is not a BQ and running a Marathon on 10-10-10 is too cool to pass up.
*There will be 5Ks, 10Ks, and more, but those I will sign up as I go. I want to make sure the smaller races will fit into my overall training schedule.
There you have it..
- What personal goal/resolution for 2010 are you most excited about?