Fastest mile- 8:25 x2
Less fast mile- 9:09
Rainy run in Orting with the Fleet Feet training group.
Woke up sorta late, Little Stud #2 will be 2 next week and still does not sleep through the night. Last night I was testing the tough love approach and did not respond to his "Mama Drink" screams over and over for an hour!! I was tired.
- Turned on phone, Zoe my NRBF was not feeling well. OK my day to meet some folks in the Fleet Feet training program. As I headed down the hill rain drops hit the windshield, thankfully I had grabbed my Patagonia jacket on the way out. Keeps me dry.
- Parked, sprinted to change, chatted with my buddy Jess. And before I knew it we were off. I got stuck behind a group and saw a lady up ahead. She was running at a good clip... HMMMM?? I ran to her left... Which running buddy pickup line to use?? "Hi, I'm Melanie. What pace are you running today?" (Yes I am THAT cool) Friendly reply, "Not sure, around 8:45ish." Me "Do you mind if I run with you?" I quickly learned that her name is Tammy, she has 5 kids the oldest is 18, she is an Iron-woman, qualified for and is currently training for Boston. WOW!! I like to ask leading questions to learn as much as I can about people.
- At mile 2.5 Tammy stopped to get water. I am training with my Golite handheld so I kept on she would "Catch up." As I headed up the only little hill on the trail I noticed a figure to my left. I slowed a little to find a 6'0 tall man, "I have been trying to catch up to your two." Matt, a young looking 40, has run a few marathons and is hoping to get a BQ at Capital City Marathon. He was running about 8:30 pace so I just went with it. Eventually Tammy caught up and we all continued to chatter. They planned to run 11 and 13, I did not want to run more than 10 since I had pushed the pace on Friday. I turned at mile 5 as they SPED on.
- Alone.. Hmmmm.. I felt a little tired but without my Ipod I sped up to get it over with. No Zoe, no Sam (lazy bird). I passed runners who smiled and waved. Eventually I saw a couple ladies who I remember leading the pack last week. They were about 200 yard away with 2 men, one of the coaches, so I sped up. Started to pass and the coach said "There is the barn burner." The ladies started asking me questions, so I ran BACKWARDS for a few paces. "Are you the one who is trying to qualify for Boston?" "Yes I am HOPING to!" I turned around. More questions, I slowed to talk.
- Jen and another Tammy, training partners who met at church. Tammy(2) is a Marathon maniac with beautiful red hair, she talked a lot about others, not much about herself. Jen is newer to running (I think?), has 3 kids including 6 year old twin boys and a 3 year old girl with curly blond hair named Molly. They let me crash their party for 3 miles and the time passed quickly. Ended at the park with my friend Jessica and her training partners. Realized I had lost one of my LUCKY runner earrings. SAD!!!
- My legs felt AMAZING!! This run reinforced the fact that I can and should run just under 9 minute mile pace. My legs are more sore when I force myself to slow. Another WONDERFUL long run done.
- How was your Saturday?
- Have you ever met a new friend while running?