I was re-reading my Race Report from the Odd-ball Frightfest Half Marathon this weekend. I generally do a Lessons Learned after my races, truly this time there were so many factors out of my control that I have only a few.
1. Do not wear a swishy rain coat in a race, no matter how hard it is raining.
2. Test your Musical device ear buds 10 minutes or more prior to the race.
3. Carry your fluid with you, especially if you have no idea where the water stops will be.
4. Be nice to your husband (support crew), he is just trying to help...OK that is a personal one.. Sorry Honey!! I was so focused on the RACE that I did not appreciate the romantic gesture.
5. Make sure you check the race results of a SMALL race, especially when you know there is serious organizational issues..
Let me explain #5 a little... I emailed the Race Director to see the results (which still have not been posted) and there was a female who finished before me in 1:40?? UMMM WHAT?!?!?!
I know that I can go on autopilot and miss things, it is NECESSARY especially when trying to tune out the smell of cows and the BORING long straightaway race course. But I know for a FACT that there was not a 24 year old woman running a 1:40 Half Marathon in front of me..if there was I would have been trying to catch her.. Yes I am competitive.. Here I am telling everyone that I won and I really got smoked by over 7 minutes?
So I kindly emailed the Race Director and said "There were no women in front of me on the course besides a few walk/runners who started early and were doing the Marathon." STEAMING with a bruised ego I awaited the reply. "You are right, that couple started an hour early and finished in 2:40."
He then sent me the revised list...WOW!! I thought after Seattle Rock 'N' Roll Marathon that I wanted a Small Town race. This weekend I learned there is such a thing as TOO SMALL.
6. If the Race Director does not send you a confirmation and reminder email the week prior to the race. Be AFRAID! Be very AFRAID!!