Morning run temps around 47', hills and frequent stops.
Earlier in the week I asked opinions about running for time vs. mileage. My Half- Marathon training plan said to run for 1 hour and 45 minutes. I just can't wrap my head around that...I LOVE LOVE to hit my mileage mark. So I started running with the time in mind and a goal of 12 miles.
FALL has come in full force, it was COLD this morning. Below is what I wore....I use my LONG training runs to test my gear for Race Day performance.
- Headsweats Ear Cover= LOVE IT!! Keeps my ear warm and my ear buds for my Ipod in place
- Brooks EX-T= Long waisted, comfortable and thick fabric...keeps me warm but not too warm.
- Brooks Gloves= I bought these for $5 and they work great. Keep my hands warm but not sweaty and the grey color matches with everything.
- Moeben Arm Sleeves= LOVE THESE!!! I would get too hot this time fo year with full long sleeves, I love the pockets in the sleeves. FULL report this week.
- Garmin 305 Watch= Love my watch and was happy to have the battery charged.
- Nathan Fuel Belt= I won't wear this on race day, but I love it for training.
- New Balance Tights= Although these fit well the fabric is thin and my lower half is COLD! I am on the HUNT for tights with thick fabric and an external pocket.
- Asics Gel Kayano= I am about to Break-up with these shoes... This popular style may work for those in warm and dry climates...but in the wet and cold...in my opinion thes shoes SUCKS!! I ran on dew covered grass for 2 steps and my feet were soaked.. REALLY? Thankfully I have a NEW pair of Brooks shoes I will test tomorrow..
I had amazing energy today, enough to dodge the low hanging branches without getting hit in the face. I ate peanut butter toast, a Strawberry Gu Chomp and had some Nuun before I left the house. On the Run I had Blue Gatorade, Water and a Gu packet. I felt my nutrition was right on...except I forgot one thing...will get back to that.
I was approaching the Half-way point when I saw a BRIGHT ORANGE "YARD SALE" sign. Hmmmm... Tall Mom Loves Yard Sales!!! I ran to the Sale which looked promising so I took out my ear buds, stopped my Garmin and SHOPPED. I found a couple bins of LEGOS. SCORE!! Muscle Man and Little Stud #1 love Legos. Here is the conversation with the Garage Sale Lady:
Tall Mom "How much for the Legos?"
Lady with a funny look "$10"
TM "OK Great. I am on a Run. Could you hold them for me until I can come back?"
Lady "WOW you are Tall!"
TM "Yes I am 6 Feet Tall."
Son about 5 "You look like you are all Runned out."
TM "I still have 6 miles to go. I already ran 6 miles. Will be 12 miles total today."
Random Older Guy Shopping "That is a Half Marathon." Big Smile
(I kept quiet....I don't like correcting people)
Lady "My goodness that is a long way. Isn't that great honey?" Looks at son.
Son No words just BIG EYES
TM "I will be back in about an hour."
And Off I went.. I probably should have counted those minutes into my time but I didn't, gotta love shopping on the Run. At about mile 8 I got a calf cramp, guess who forgot to talk her Salt Stick Capsule before she left? Yep, the IRONY I just blogged about the benefits of Salt Stick capsules and I flaked to take mine before my run.. UGH!! I kept going and the cramp went away.
This was a GREAT training run. I am not sure if I can hit my "A" Goal in my Halloween Half, but I do know that I am not far behind on the endurance I need.
I got home and grabbed my key to drive to the Yard Sale. The lady smiled and said "We have been talking about you all morning. The runner lady who ran 12 miles!" Hehehe...Tall Mom the talk of the yard sale. All in a days work.
Happy WEEKEND! Tomorrow I break in my new shoes and play VOLLEYBALL!