Thanks to ALL for your comments on my last post...I really want to be smart and not suffer an overuse injury. I also want to PR in my Halloween Half. I have decided to just go with my body, I know I am more than ready. Now it is just putting one foot in front of the other.
I am soooo EXCITED for Bloggy buddies Britt and Jesse for their first Marathons...wonderful race reports for both. CONGRATS!! I am on pins and needles waiting to hear how Lacey did...UGH every Marathon should have the option to (stalk) track athletes.
Stats for 10/17:
Afternoon run to try to beat the rain. Sore knees and a soaking wet last 2 miles.
I had planned on doing a 15K self-race (was on my training plan last week). I took the first .5 at warm-up pace then planned to increase the speed. As I zoomed up the first incline I realized that I did not have the SPEED in my legs. So instead of stressing about my pace I planned to just RUN and incorporate some TOUGH hills. Here is the bullet point version of my LONG run.
- Dressed for the rain in my thick long sleeve jacket...I got HOT at mile 1. Should have run home and dropped off my jacket.
- Stopped at mile 3 because my head and HEART were not in the run. I turned off my Ipod and looked around. Self-assessment and internal conversation, "It does not matter how fast you run! Just put one foot in front of the other, don't look at your Garmin, and enjoy this crisp Fall day." Polly Pessimism was left at mile 3!! FINALLY
- I tied my jacket around my waist and it drove me CRAZY!! Must be sure to under-dress on race day.
- Smells: BBQ, Dryer exhaust, Wet leaves, car exhaust, and Burger King.
- The BRIGHT Red, orange and yellow leaves are soooo PRETTY!! I plan to get out with my camera before they are all gone. Made for an amazing setting to run.
- Felt light headed at mile 7.5, I did not bring water with me, but ate a Strawberry Gu Chomp and felt a little better. I need to wear my Nathan Fuel belt, I was thirsty the whole run.
- The RAIN started to pour at mile 8...funny all I could think was "I hope that I am channelling the rain so that Lacey and Robin can be DRY in their race tomorrow." LOL like I have any power over mother nature. I was GLAD that I still had my jacket because the rain made the temp DROP and it was COLD!
- The last 1.5 miles I kicked it up and was PROUD that I did not let my bad week and sore legs get the best of me.
So there you have it, one more LONG run in the books. I am OFF to the craft store to put together my costume and to Fleet Feet for something SUPER EXCITING!! Happy Sunday!