Cold run near work trying for race pace.
The LAST RUN in my Half Marathon training plan is in the books. I have loosely followed the plan (skipped a few speed days oops) yesterday called for 30 minute Tempo Run, which I interpreted as 30 minutes getting my body comfortable with race pace.
Thought I should wear my Halloween colored outfit... CHEESE!! It was COLD, I could see my breath the entire run. I opted to run along the road to avoid Garmin Gremlins, I wanted to know my pace. Kerrie and I realized that we work 1.3 miles away from each other, CRAZY, so I headed on a running tour to find her office. To sum up the run in one word... AWESOME!! 7:31, 7:30, 7:32, and 7:24 for an overall 7.29 pace!! Seriously I felt amazing and it was a huge boost for my confidence on race day. Granted it was 4 miles and I will have to add 9.1 at that pace...I feel STRONG and ready..
As I approach the last run I am officially registered for I can't help thinking about the MISTAKES that I have made in each of my runs during my SHORT running career (Can I call it a career?). Sooooo in an attempt to help other Rookies out there I will admit my MISTAKES and hopefully help you all from suffering the same Miss-steps.
1. Do not overdress.If you do overdress do not put your race number on the outer layer.
2. Don't Forget the Batteries!! In your Camera, Garmin, Ipod, etc. On Marathon day I brought our nice big camera, but alas the battery was plugged into the wall.
3. Use the Honey Bucket (Portable Toilet) as many times as you need to and be PATIENT in the line.
4. Do not let someone jockeying for position take you out of your run. Try to get away from anyone who takes away from the JOY of the race.
5. Do not go out too fast!!!! Trying to recover from a side ache is not fun.
6. Gu when you need to Gu. Have a nutrition and water plan in your mind which you have practiced. In a LONG race you can easily get disoriented and forget.
7. Drop your arms, relax your breathing, and look COOL in your Finish Line photo. (T-Rex with the tongue hanging out is not a good look, trust me)
8. Prepare for Wet shoes in some races and plan accordingly. Having your cheering section on stand by with a fresh pair of shoes and socks may save you from BLISTERS. (FYI wet is not always caused by rain...YUCK)
9. Do not let negative thoughts slow your stride. Have something to focus on that will make you smile. When Polly Pesimism comes to visit you will need a catch phrase to keep her away. Lately I have heard the words "Make it work" from Project runway in my head.. Mainly because the idea of TIm Gun Running makes me laugh. Can you imagine his outfit and perfect posture..
10. NEVER wear gear you have not run in to RACE... OK I have not done this one...but truly test your gear before you run even a 5K. Your clothing, gear and accessories can make all the difference. Hmmmm..Giraffe costume? We will see what I end up doing on Saturday. I want to keep the hat on as long as I can.
***I know none of these are not Yoda inspired or life changing. I am NOT a research and post kind of gal, I am a MOM who has time to post what I know. And what I know comes from experiences. Please don't make the same MISTAKES!! and send me SPEEDY vibes I am going to need it to cut nearly a minute off the pace that my legs like to run..
- I love Julia's topic for TIART today...will be posting my 3 Wishes soon.