After every race I like to list the things that I learned, big, small, OBVIOUS, etc... So here is my list from our 5K yesterday. I know seems silly since I PR'd...but we can always learn from the things that go well and those things we could have changed.
Run Wild 5K Lessons Learned:
- Always thank the Volunteers and cheer for the other runners. Yesterday when I was waiting for Muscle Man to Finish I was able to slow down, thank the volunteers and CHEER for everyone running by and crossing the Finish Line. This made the race much more enjoyable than if I had just run off in my own world. And the lady passing out the oranges, standing in a puddle of water, seemed happy that someone acknowledged her existence. A Thank you goes a LONG way!!!
- If you know it is going to be a wet day bring dry clothes, socks and shoes to change into after the race and CHANGE!! I brought everything but opted not to change and FROZE waiting for the awards. I was sick to start the day but I may have been better off if I had been smart and used the dry warm gear I brought. Fall is coming, plan accordingly.
- Use your strengths! For me the first mile of a race I can run FAST! Something about the start line, weaving and the adrenalin. Yesterday I let up a little that first mile to conserve for the last 2.1.... I could never find that extra SPEED and now I wonder what would have happened if I would have run with my strength. I had fuel in the tank when I finished, but no race left.
- Run a race with your best friend. Although I quickly left Muscle Man once the race started I LOVED the fact that he was there with me to pick up our race numbers, wait in line, and cross the FINISH LINE. A Race is so much more enjoyable when shared with those close to you..
- If you run with an Ipod/Music use it during the race. I am not sure if music would have made a difference in my race, but it could not have hurt. I left my ipod in the car so I could talk to Muscle Man. REALITY...if we are giving it our ALL we wont be chatting...
Posing in our race T's. Funny our last race together we got Red T-shirts too..
Second race, first 5K!
Second race, first 5K!
I ALWAYS seem to pick a size too big for Race T's..Muscle Man has inherited a couple (Including my AWESOME Sugoi Rock 'N' Roll Seattle Marathon Technical T). In my mind I am still an XL. This is me in Hubby's Shirt a Large.
OK earth to Tall Mom you CAN fit in a Medium and it WILL look much better. SWEET! I look like I lost 15lbs just by changing my shirt..
- This week is going to be BUSY at work...I will TRY to get some Blogs lined up ahead of time. I am typing SICK and hope I can kick it... Maybe racing in the rain when under the weather was a little ummmm dumb? Live and Learn. Anyhow... Tomorrow, as promised I will host a little Giveaway.. Hint... New Socks Anyone???